Department of Justice

Land Titles Frequently Asked Questions

 Changes under the new Land Titles Act, 2015 and regulations  View related FAQ

How can I find out what property is for sale by the Government of Yukon?

This information is available at the Government of Yukon Lands Branch.

How do I obtain a photocopy of a Certificate of Title?

Anyone can obtain a photocopy of the title to a piece of property at the Land Titles Office.

You will need:

  • The legal description of the property, i.e. lot, block, subdivision, quad, LTO plan number, NOT the street address. If you only have a street (civic) address, you may obtain a legal description from the local municipal office.
  • Title may also be searched by the current registered owner's name.

How do I change my address on the Certificate of Title?

A Land Titles Change of Address form is online or available at the Land Titles Office for you to complete and sign.
Note: This is a separate form from the Government of Yukon change of address form.

How do I find out the zoning for my property?

This information is available at the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources Lands Branch or your municipality.

What information is contained in a Certificate of Title?

The Certificate of Title sets out the owner's name, the nature and limits of the owner's interest, the legal description of the property and all encumbrances, liens and interests affecting the land, owner's mailing address (not necessarily the address of the property) date of the transfer, and consideration price. This does not always reflect the purchase price.

What is a Duplicate Certificate of Title?

Prior to the Land Titles Act, 2015 coming into force, each original Certificate of Title had a duplicate in order for Land Titles Office to register the document or transfer the property. Under the new legislation, Duplicate Certificates of Title are no longer created or issued. 

What is a caveat?

A caveat is a "Buyer Beware" warning to anyone searching the Certificate of Title, that legal claim or interest in the property is being asserted by someone other than the registered owner. Instruments registered subsequent to the caveat are subject to the claims of the caveator as stated in the caveat.

What is a Lis Pendens?

A lis pendens is a court document indicating that a court action has been filed against the property.

What is the difference between joint tenants and tenants-in-common?

In a joint tenant situation, if one tenant dies, his or her share of the property reverts to the surviving partner. With tenants-in-common, if one tenant dies his or her share in the property goes to the estate, to be disposed of by legal representation or the Public Administrator.

What is the difference between a survey plan and a Surveyor's Certificate?

A survey plan is the legal lot plan of a parcel of land and can be obtained from the Land Titles Office. Surveyor's Certificates are detailed drawings of specific parcels of land that can be required by banks for mortgage purposes. They cannot be obtained through the Land Titles Office.

Where do I pay my taxes?

Property taxes are payable at municipal offices or at the Property Assessment and Taxation office at 308 Steele Street, 1st floor.  You can also pay online from May 15 – July 2.

While I am at Land Titles Office, do I need to search anything else besides the Certificate of Title?

Yes, Writs of Seizure and Sale are kept in a General Register against a person's name. These writs are not listed on the title itself.