Department of Justice

Domestic Violence

Dealing with Different Crimes

Victim Services

If you choose to leave

You might decide to leave an abusive situation in an emergency or at any time. You might choose to leave for a while, or for good.

Whatever you choose to do, believe in yourself.

Get support

It might help to talk to someone you trust. You can also talk to Victim Services or staff at a local transition house to learn about your options for leaving. You don’t have to give your name if you don’t want to.

Victims Services Workers are trained to counsel people who have been, or are being, abused. We have staff in Whitehorse, Dawson and Watson Lake. Staff also travel regularly to other communities.

Go somewhere safe

Think about places you and your children could go where you will be safe. You might go to the home of a friend or family.

The best option for women whose safety is at risk might be to go to a transition home.

If you are man seeking safety your best options are to contact the RCMP or go stay with family, friends, or in a hotel.

Transition Homes

Transition homes currently provide emergency shelter and support for women and children only.

Transition homes are accessible 24 hours a day. They have security measures and staff who are trained to help protect women and their children.

Even if there isn’t one in your community, transportation can usually be arranged to get you to the nearest one.

Everything you tell them will be private. However, if they suspect a child is being abused or neglected then they must report this to Family and Children’s Services.

You can stay at a Yukon transition home for two weeks or a month (it depends on which shelter you go to).

To get contact information for Yukon transition homes, please view our other services page. For more information on what to expect at a transition home, read the booklet Options, Choices, Changes.

Once you’re safe

Some of the first things you might need to deal with are your legal rights, child custody and money.

Victim Services and other support services can help you learn to deal with these issues. Victim Services can help you understand how the criminal justice system works if you become involved with it. They can also connect you with information about getting a lawyer and other family law issues.

If the abuse continues

Abusive behaviour doesn’t always stop when you leave. The abuser may try to control you financially, through the children, through the courts, through physical abuse or by threatening and harassing you.

He or she may be breaking conditions of a no contact order or could be charged with criminal harassment. Keep a record of what they do or says and keep any written or recorded messages they leave for you.

And keep the police, their probation officer or bail supervisor (if they have one) informed.

Victim Services and others can help you through this difficult time. And if you are afraid of the abuser or they are threatening you, you can apply for a peace bond.