About the Department
The Department of Justice works with Yukoners to respond to challenges and opportunities in the justice system. We administer the justice system in a number of different ways, provide services that contribute to public safety and provide legal services to the Government of Yukon.
Where We’re Going – Our Vision
Healthy relationships, peaceful communities: Our justice system, legislation, and the work we do to build harmonious relationships are the foundation for safe, healthy and peaceful communities.
What We Do – Our Mission
The Department of Justice upholds the principles of equitable access to justice. The justice system and Yukon laws are fair and accessible, and impartially administered with respect for individual, collective and human rights. We build relationships with others to support good governance; to reduce, resolve and mitigate conflict; and to foster safe communities with opportunities for healing.
What We Believe – Our Values
Department of Justice staff have identified the following values as qualities that are important to all in carrying out our mandate and working towards our vision. Our values are demonstrated by our behaviour towards our clients and each other.
- Integrity. We carry out our work to the highest ethical and professional standards, to instill confidence in those we serve and be responsive to their needs.
- Accountability. We are accountable to those we serve and to each other. We take responsibility for what we do and say; we provide timely responses and follow-through; we recognize the need to minimize our impact on the environment; and we are prudent in our fiscal management.
- Respect. We appreciate the inherent worth and dignity of others, and we treat our colleagues and those we serve with respect. We honour our cultural diversity and we seek to learn and understand different perspectives.
- Service excellence. We are committed to providing excellent service. We help people overcome barriers and move forward in their lives. We support innovation and corporate development initiatives that help us improve our service. We support each other in recognizing and appreciating a job well done.
- Employee wellness, safety and development. We support wellness and safety in the workplace, including mental and emotional health. We support each other in encouraging learning opportunities and professional growth and development.